Enrolment in a Master’s Degree Programme
The official language of most master’s programmes* is Dutch. Proficiency in Dutch is recommended, but because all master’s programmes consist of a considerable amount of elective courses taught in English international students with a good command of the English language are also welcome to attend the master’s courses. Moreover, practical course components (such as studio practice, music, …) are taught in small groups making it easier to accommodate international students.
(*) Only the Erasmus Mundus programme DocNomads is an English taught degree programme.
We accept the following certificates with regard to language proficiency in Dutch or English
English language proficiency. The required level of English to study at KU Leuven is level B2. This can be proved in various ways such as:
- a bachelor’s degree including a statement that the BA study of at least 180 ECTS was an English taught degree
- a diploma of higher education obtained at an institute of higher education in one of the inner circle countries (United Kingdom, UWA, New Zealand, Australia, Canada ‘except Québec), Ireland, Caribbean Islands, South Africa)
- TOEFL paper test: 550
- TOEFL computer test: 213
- TOEFL internet test: 79
- IELTS: 6.0
- Cambridge language test
Dutch language proficiency:
- a proof that the applicant has successfully followed a Dutch-language study programme of at least one year, either at an institute of Higher Education or a Secondary School, or successfully completed at least 54 ECTS credits in a Dutch taught higher education degree programme.
- a Dutch language certificate that is recognized by the Dutch language (Nederlandse Taalunie) and that grants access to higher education.
- language certificate Level 5 (or B2)
- a certificate PTHO (Profiel Taalvaardigheid Hoger Onderwijs) awarded by “Nederlandse Taalunie, Certificaat Nederlands als Vreemde Taal (CnaVT);
- a certificate PAT (Profiel Academische Taalvaardigheid) awarded by “Nederlandse Taalunie, Certificaat Nederlands als Vreemde Taal (CnaVT).
- a certificate issued by an Adult Learning Centre (in Dutch: CVO or Centrum voor Volwassenenonderwijs”), minimum level 3