Health Care

Logo Stuvo LUCA

For students of LUCA School of Arts & KU Leuven Faculty of Architecture

The Belgian Health Care system 

All residents in Belgium, Belgian nationals or otherwise, are required by law to have an insurance which covers their health care

Having a health insurance is also one of the conditions for international students who want to obtain a residence permit in Belgium.  

This can either be 

  • a private medical insurance which covers their study stay in Belgium
  • or; a document (such as  EHIC, GHIC, Medicare, ...) which proves that they will benefit from coverage in Belgium through their public health insurer in their own country
  • or; a proof of affiliation with a Belgian health insurance fund.  

EEA nationals

You can use your European Health Insurance Card or register with a Belgian health insurance fund: 

At LUCA we have a close collaboration with Helan (Flanders) & Partenamut (Brussels).

Read more information for EEA students on the website of our partner institution KU Leuven. 

Non-EEA nationals who are self-supporting
students whose scholarship does not include health insurance

If you are a national of a country with a (bilateral) health care agreement, you don't need to register with a Belgian health care fund. If you are not a national of one of these countries, you do need to register. 

Read more information for non-EEA nationals on the website of our partner institution KU Leuven.